Monday 30 January 2012

Preparation

Now I have a clearer understanding of the Casa Batllo itself, both visually and literally. It is time to start some visual development. To start off with I have created a simple list of assets to plan my production and pave the way to further project evolution.



I have split the two assets groups into two tiers. Architectural assets and Furnishings. This is due to the organic nature of the environment. Because the Casa Batllo has a curved aesthetic it will cause issues for UDK brushes, therefore I have decided to use 3DSMAX for the entire environment as it offers more flexible control over the production process and ultimately will cause less errors further down the line. I will have to enforce this with some technical research soon, to justify the decision; which will appear in the form of my white box. I have also broken down the architectural section into key assets which will be repeated throughout the level and used to identify the Building as the Casa Batllo. Walls and Flooring will be modelled as a separate entity and  textured using tileable textures and careful UVW mapping.

To kick-start my own visual exploration, I have studied my reference in depth and began drawing some basic line drawings, concentrating on scale and proportion to act as a 'skeleton' helping me to understand the structural components of my models. These will act as a starting point for my concepts, before I add some volume and decoration. Eventually these should act as my modelling reference, providing me with the most accurate information.


































I developed this simple method of line drawing from a book by Quinlan Terry, called Architects Anonymous, which has a collection of architectural sketches and illustrations which acted as a great motivator and style guide for my own drawings, some examples of the work can be found below;



















Now I have a basic idea of what I am to model, I need to start setting the parameters of the project in more detail, particularly the scope of the project. For this I need to assess the blueprints of the Casa Batllo, consider its layout and then designate an appropriate amount of space to create a comprehensive and detailed environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment