Monday 13 February 2012

Further..

Taking a quick break from modelling the ground floor, I focused
on Unwrapping and Normal Mapping my Doorway. I have baked
it from a higher poly model to further enhance its curvaceous nature.
(still to be lightmapped)

Sidewards view of the waiting room, which is the initial
starting point for my environment. Noticeable features include
the 'Mushroom' shaped chimney section.

Plan view of the waiting room



Quick experimentation with the staircase. The shape and form is
finally proportionate after hours of tweaking. Yet I feel the layout
needs some tweaking as a lot of  artistic impact is lost due to
its awkward placement. I need to take a few steps back and
concept some alternatives.
































What I've found when attempting to whitebox my lower floor, was due to the organic, flowing geometry of the rooms, I would have to put considerable detail into the mesh to develop an insight into how lighting works, whether the proportions are correct, If my models would snap to the grid appropriately. To avoid needless running around in circles, I just dived in following my layout plans and measurements to create my Final Model. So far it is proving highly time efficient and errors have been minimal.

2 comments:

  1. FEEDBACK

    Tom, you've picked a right challenge! Trying to convey the flowing organic qualities of Gaudi's architecture is about the most difficult thing I can imagine using the tools you've got.

    What I would suggest is focussing on the stairwell, which you;ve identified as a key 'character' and doing several test iterations of it to develop techniques for constructing the organic flow.

    Once you have a set of techniques that work, you can then work outwards from the stairs into the other rooms.

    The rooms are a little dull compared with the stairs, and so I feel there's little point in spending any time on them at the moment. Worst case scenario would be that you don;t get the stairs sorted, and you end up with some rather uninspiring rooms with curvy doors and windows, which would feel rather a let down.

    Several iterations of the stairs demonstrating different techniques would be good development work, and show your technical and visual analytical skills.

    Once you have a workflow that works well, moving out from the stairs to produce a bigger environment wouldn't be so challenging. Working the other way around runs the risk of not getting the stairs - which you have already identified as a key feature - to the high standard you're aspiring to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike, I'll certainly take your advice on board and focus more of my attention towards the staircase. It is the highlight of the level and demands more attention.

    ReplyDelete